CLEARING RIGHTS will take place on-site following an adequate hygiene concept. The safety and health of everyone involved is our top priority. Thus, should a new travel ban or other developments make an on-site event not possible, the workshop will be held as state-of-the-art live online event. This will be designed specifically for each workshop and will offer a 100% equivalent to the content of the on-site workshop. Accommodation fees will be refunded. Additional benefits and specific networking opportunities will round up this offer.
Scripts based on real stories, a Warhol poster in the background of a scene, and a protagonist humming a Robbie Williams song – not all rights contained in a script or a film are that obvious. Only a detailed analysis can avoid cost-intensive pitfalls.
The increasing importance of the streamers has never been clearer than in times of closed movie theaters and cancelled premieres. With the continuous rise of VoD subscription number around the globe, working with the platforms and understanding the legal issues involved is becoming crucial for the sustainable development of many audiovisual companies.
The workshop offers a comprehensive overview of rights’ clearance strategies and the necessary legal knowledge to tackle these issues head-on. Top European and US-American industry experts and state-of-the-art case studies help participants develop a deep understanding of the topic in a surprisingly entertaining way. Excellent networking opportunities round off this intensive workshop.
|Format||Interactive on-site workshop|
|Datum||November 19-21 (excl. travel days)|
|Preis||early bird 690 EUR (incl. meals, excl. accommodation) | regular 890 EUR (incl. meals, excl. accommodation)|
|Stipendien||Scholarships and discounts available (details below)|
Bestandteile des Angebotes
PANDEMIC-RELATED PRECAUTIONS 2020
What Clearing Rights offers
- Rights clearance strategies
- Copyright and its exemptions (Fair Use, parody etc.)
- Turning real life into film: Clearing personality rights
- Everybody’s nightmare? Clearing music rights
- Who is paying? How E&O insurance works
- The big players: Clearing rights at US majors and the streamers
- Clearing trademarks, artwork and landmarks: The creative approach
- Global perspective: Cases in different national jurisdictions
- Clearing rights for documentaries and factual entertainment
- Combining legal and creative
- Practical knowledge to identify and clear rights fast & effectively
- Learning from theoretical and practical work on cases
- Deep insight into best practices and strategies
- Latest expertise from internationally acclaimed trainers
- Opportunity to test and apply the acquired knowledge on-site
- Excellent networking opportunities during the workshop as well as at our social evening programme.
- An active and interdisciplinary group of participants and industry experts
- Opportunity to establish valuable and long-lasting business relationships with audiovisual professionals from all over Europe
programme Schedule 2020 Will be announced soon
Experts 2020 Include (further tba)
Case Studies 2020 INCLUDE (further tba)
scholarships and discounts
Erich Pommer Institut Scholarships
A limited amount of mostly partial scholarships is available for nationals of the following countries: Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, FYROM, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Norway, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine.
Please do not register above if applying for a scholarship. To apply, fill in this application form before October 5.
Other scholarships and discounts
early bird discount: Register early to benefit from a EUR 200 discount until October 5.
Company discounts: The second person from the same company is eligible for a discount of EUR 200 when booking at the same time and at the non-discounted rate. Please contact us to receive the discount code.
Please also consider applying for funding in your home countries.
German funding possibility: Bildungsprämie des Bundesministeriums für Bildung und Forschung
Please note: Discounts and scholarships are not combinable.
What former participants sAy
- I can think of no better context than this to learn more about clearing rights. With real examples and know-how shared by experts you’d not normally have access to, there is something valuable here for everyone working in film and TV production or media law.Judi Sydes, Diagonal TV, Spain
- I really enjoyed being surrounded by people and experts who are working in the same industry. National examples and cases have broadened the point of view and outlook. International experience, tips (especially from USA) – masterpiece!Simona Mikenaite, AVAKA, Lithuania
- Thank you EPI for the perfect organisation of this information-packed seminar with A-list lawyers. Invaluable. I met my objectives by getting answers to all my questions. And met some fun people.Cornelius Schregle, Backdrop Switzerland, Switzerland