- Develop specific skills in international co-production and co-venturing
- Receive up-to-date information on film funds and tax incentive
- Learn and receive project feedback from key professionals from both sides of the Atlantic
- Exchange information and experiences with your fellow TAP producers
Berlin Module: June 16 - 21, 2018 in Berlin, Germany
Halifax Module: September 10 - 16, 2018 in Halifax, Canada
Trans Atlantic Partners (TAP) is an established training and networking program for experienced film and TV producers from Europe, Canada and the U.S. Celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2018, TAP is the only program worldwide that is dedicated to trans-Atlantic co-production.
to intensive, hands-on training and targeted project feedback from
resource trainers, producers will be given the opportunity for a targeted partner search through a series of pre-scheduled 1-2-1 meetings with financiers and decision makers.
|Bewerbungsfrist||April 3, 2018|
|Datum||Berlin Module: June 16 - 21, 2018|
Halifax Module: September 10 - 16, 2018
|Ort||Germany in June | Canada in September|
|Zielgruppe||Producers (feature film and/or TV drama)|
|Preis||EUR 5.000 (incl. meals and accommodation),|
Subsidies are available
|Stipendien||Grants and discounts available for nationals of the EU, Canada & the U.S. (conditions apply)|
rECENT TAP successes include
what former participants say
- TAP changed my life. It opened up the world of international co-productions to me and gave me direct experience in networking on an international level. If you want to produce internationally, TAP is invaluable!Jennifer Fox (Producer & Director THE TALE), USA
- THE TALE is the second co-production that emerged from TAP for us after ANGRY INDIAN GODDESSES in 2015. It was amazing to be able to work on a project together with a partner from across from the Atlantic even during the program.Sol Bondy (Producer THE TALE, Co-Producer ANGRY INDIAN GODDESSES), Germany
- I was very impressed by the calibre of resources, trainers, experts and most of all participants. The experience in the room was fantastic. When the pitches began I was blown away. (In Halifax) there were amazing case studies given by industry experts.Rachael O'Kane (Tilted Pictures), Ireland
- TAP is an incredibly powerful international networking opportunity that has formed numerous enduring, profitable and award-winning productions, working relationships and friendships for me and my career.David Cormican (Don Carmody Television), Canada
- TAP was a monumental experience for me both professionally and personally. As an American producer, there is no better education of the international producing landscape. And most of all, I now have friends all over the world!Diane Houslin (B.O.B Filmhouse), USA
- As an established feature film producer, TAP’s dual training focus of film and TV, very much helped me get a better sense of the international potential of structuring a scripted television series in todays marketplace, as well as a great deal of applied learning in how to do so.Jeff Kopas (Vitality Media Productions Inc.), Canada
- TAP is a great resource because of the sense of community and contact with fellow producers and experts. It has helped me expand my business relationships across various countries and into different important fields of the business.Daniel Kresmery (Korda Studios), Hungary
- TAP is the most effective program available if you want to meet viable co-production partners.Judy Holm (Markham Street Films), Canada
- Great people, great projects, great opportunities - I'd recommend TAP to any producer!Tom Collins (de facto films), Ireland
TAP Alumni include
- TRAINING and PROJECT FEEDBACK
- NETWORKING and PARTNER SEARCH
TAP offers a unique combination of intensive, hands-on training with effective networking among potential partners, and targeted project feedback from internationally acclaimed industry experts.
TRAINING and PROJECT FEEDBACK
TAP provides its participants the development of specific skills, access to invaluable expertise and the introduction to new business perspectives for international co-production and co-venturing in film and TV.
Top-level industry experts share their knowledge and experience and provide invaluable project feedback.
NETWORKING and PARTNER SEARCH
TAP also offers exclusive networking opportunities including pre-scheduled 1-2-1 meetings with potential project partners and decision makers.
TAP participants will also become part of the TAP Alumni Network with regular networking dinners at major international festivals including Berlin, Cannes and TIFF.
TAP is designed for independent producers with more than five years of professional experience in the film and television industry that have produced a minimum of one feature film or TV fiction series.
Applicants need to have a project attached that is suitable for international co-production and should be nationals of the EU, Canada or the U.S.
Market Intelligence / Finance
- The European, Canadian and US audiovisual market - figures, structure, players, operating conditions
- The financial landscape for European, Canadian and US feature film and TV production
- The legal framework: Europe | Canada | US
- Bilateral treaties and the European Convention on Cinematographic Co-Production
- The co-production/ co-venture agreement
In-depth, candid case studies of successful trans-Atlantic co-productions - both Film and TV - presented by acclaimed and award-winning producers.
Previous case studies include: ALOFT (ES | CAN), THE BOOK OF NEGROES (CAN | USA), MAUDIE (IRL | CAN), HEVN (NO | CAN), IN DARKNESS (PL | DE | CAN), TRANSPORTER: THE SERIES (FR | CAN)
Sales / Distribution / New Media
- Pitching projects
- Sales Agents and positioning in the marketplace
- Distribution in Europe, Canada and the US – structures and players
- Audience engagement and market outreach
previous tap experts Include
Training and Project Feedback
Networking and Partner Search
- Participate at the Atlantic Film Festival's FIN Partners, one of the worlds pre-eminent international co-production markets in Halifax, Nova Scotia
- Engage in further excellent networking opportunities throughout both modules
- Get access to top industry players to discuss their projects in 1-2-1
- Discover new international partners and projects
TAP Alumni Network
- Become part of the exclusive TAP Alumni Network with annual business events throughout the year.
- Meet other TAP alumni, TAP
experts and industry guests in 1-2-1 meetings and at networking dinners at
major international festivals including Berlin, Cannes and TIFF.
The application procedure for Trans Atlantic Partners 2018 already started December 2017. The application deadline is set for April 3, 2018. Successful applicants of TAP 2018 will be contacted in early May.
The next application deadline will be announced closer to the edition 2018.
A list of all required information for the application is provided below. Please make sure to have all necessary information at hand before filling out the online form as the application cannot be saved in the process.
Information to have at hand when filling out the application form:
- Contact and Additional Information
- Objectives for applying to TAP (min. 1, max. 4; max. 100 characters each)
- Short biography & company profile (max. 1000 characters each, ~ 150 words)
- Main credits (details, your role, festivals, awards) (min. 1, max. 3)
- Projects for TAP (min. 1, max. 2)
a. Title, format, genre
b. Short synopsis (max. 500 characters, ~ 75 words)
c. Long synopsis (max. 1800 characters, ~ 270 words)
d. Artistic Statement (max. 1000 characters, ~ 150 words)
e. Further information (partially optional)
f. Attached writer, director, producer, co-producer, broadcaster
g. Shooting language, location and start
h. Based on, development stage, budget total / per episode, URL
i. Elements seeking / available for co-production (e.g. location, post, cast, director)
j. Financing in place (e.g. government grants, foundations, private equity)
k. Main talent attached (max. 3; name, role, bio of max. 1000 characters, ~ 150 words)
Please keep in mind:
- You cannot make any changes to your application after submission!
- If selected, relevant
information will be taken from the application form and published in
internal print material. Where stated, information may also be used for
publication in press releases.
Applicants should be nationals of:
- countries in the
European Union (or countries associated with the Creative Europe - MEDIA
Programme of the European Union)
- United States of America
- 3 seats are available to international participants
Profile and further requirements:
- independent film and TV producers with more than five
years of professional experience in the film and television industry and a minimum of one feature film or TV fiction series produced
- project attached (feature film or TV fiction) that is suitable for
international co-production. Please, no animation or documentary.
- The level of industry experience of the producer applying
- The creative and commercial merits of the project
- The co-production, co-venturing possibilities of the project among Europe, Canada and/or the US
- Financing in place
- Packaging elements in place
contact European producers
contact north-american producers
Erich Pommer Institut
The Erich Pommer Institut (EPI) is one of the leading providers of advanced training in the German and European media landscape and a recognised industry-specific think tank. With its expertise in media law and management and with a variety of formats and publications, the EPI supports the ongoing process of digital transformation in the media industry.
The Erich Pommer Institut was founded in Potsdam-Babelsberg in 1998 as an independent non-profit limited company and is an institute affiliated with the Film University Babelsberg KONRAD WOLF and the University of Potsdam.
Canadian Media Producers Association
The Canadian Media Producers Association (CMPA) is the Canada’s leading member-based advocacy organization for independent producers, representing hundreds of companies engaged in the development and distribution of English-language content made for television, cinema and digital media channels.
The CMPA works to promote the continued success of the Canadian
production sector and ensure a future for diverse content made by Canadians for
both domestic and international audiences.